Sunday, October 23, 2011

I'm so ready for soup weather!!!

The weather is finally starting to cool down, praise the Lord!! It was the worst summer ever... unbelievably hot and I just don't like eating soup when it's that hot. Something about sweating and eating just doesn't do it for me. So we actually got to eat soup for the first time in forever the other day. 

Soup of the day would be Chicken Tortilla Soup. 
This is the basic recipe. Just guidelines really... if you like more of something add extra or if you don't like something omit it.

1 Onion diced
2 Cups of frozen corn
1 Lemon
1 Avocado
1 Can of diced tomatoes
1 Can of black beans
1 Can of kidney beans
1 Small can diced green chiles
30oz can chicken stock
1 Full breast of boneless skinless chicken 
Garnish with:
Grated cheese - I used a blend of Monterey Jack & Cheddar
Cilantro
Sliced green onions - scallions
Tortilla Chips
Sour Cream (optional)


                                       
  
Sorry the bowls with the beans are a little dark
In a pot add some oil, onions and some salt. Sweat the onions until they are translucent, then add the corn, green chiles, tomatoes and beans, then stir in chicken stock. I fill the the stock container (another 30oz) with water and add that to the mix. Now in go the avocados and some spices. I do it to taste, but it's approx.

1 Tblsp granulated garlic
1 Tblsp chili powder
A dash of cumin
Salt/Pepper to taste 
-Stir and bring to a simmer-


Meanwhile I get my chicken into a hot cast-iron skillet with just enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. I season my chicken with the same spices above. I just lightly dust the chicken on both sides with the spices. Cook chicken until done about 5-10 min depending on the size. 





Once chicken is cooked, cut into bite sized pieces and add to the soup. Also, to the bits leftover in the skillet add a ladle full of soup to it and stir up any stuck on goodness. Add all that flavor to the soup as well.


Finally it's time to garnish and eat!! 
Add cheese, cilantro, green onion, chips, sour cream and even more lemon or lime and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment