Sunday, May 6, 2012

My First Quilt - Finished!!

I finished this a couple of weeks ago, but I am just getting around to posting about it. I finished the quilt back, but as you see here it was very uneven. I started trying to "square it up" and could not get the thing right. I was getting a little irritated to say the least, but I was bound and determined to get this thing finished!!   

I had originally planned on putting boarders around the entire quilt back, but as I said earlier I was getting a little irritated so I grabbed some yardage and and came up with this. 




I spray basted this bad boy and got it already to quilt. I was a little "scared" to quilt this because I have never free motioned before, but this is the year for no more fears. I put on some music and had a nice cup of tea and got to work. I need lots of practice for sure, but by the end of this quilt it was getting a tad bit easier. I was going to use brown thread, but my mom thought white would be nice. I read afterwards that you typically use the color thread that matches your sashing. All in all I'm pretty happy with the results. I still need to put the binding on, but I'm so happy I finally finished it!! 




I'm linking up with 
Sew Modern Monday
Have a fantastic day!!
January

8 comments:

  1. That is really great for your first quilt. Its exciting to see your work come out so well. Look forward to more of your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good going, girl! What a cool accomplishment for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work!! The quilting looks really nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your finish and for tackling FMQ. There will be no stopping you now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks great... as to the colour of thread ....you should use whatever YOU want and are happy with xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should be so proud - congrats on the finish. The no fear attitude is inspiring and I think the off set backing is better than a center with a border.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks wonderful, good for you for just going for it with the fmq. I recommend that you consider some gloves - quilting ones or gardening gloves, the kind with rubber fingers, I find it makes a huge difference when I fmq.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job January! You learn so much from that first quilt. Can't wait to see what else you make next!

    ReplyDelete