Monday, January 28, 2013

Inspiration followed through



My hubby and I were watching TV the other night when I saw something so beautiful. He was fast forwarding through the commercials (remember when we couldn't do that) when I said "Wait go back!!! In the blur I saw a quilt." He went back and paused it so I could take some pictures. I don't even remember what the commercial was for, but I instantly fell in love with it :) 


I have never been that great at math and I thought I would never be able to make my own patterns. Since I have started quilting I am getting better at math and I can be pretty determined. So I got out the ol' graph paper and colored pencils and started sketching. I thought this would be a great one to cut my teeth on since it's just squares and rectangles. 



I took a piece of tracing paper and traced the outlines and figured out the size of each piece. 


Once I figured out how much fabric I would need I started searching online for some Kona Solids. I really loved this bundle of fabric but it didn't last long at all!



I started cutting my pieces and throwing them up on the design wall, which by the way is to small. I had to improvise a little and also use the floor :)





Once I sewed the pieces into panels I did some rearranging with the help of my honey.



I love the way it turned out and can't wait to get the back done so I can quilt this monster. I'm still not sure how I'm going to quilt it, any suggestions? 



I hope your having a great start to your week!! 
~January~

5 comments:

  1. That is a great example of finding inspiration in everyday life!
    My quilting suggestion would be something like the "jagged plain" as a n allover pattern: http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/2010/09/day-211-jagged-plain.html
    I think the pointy angles would be fun against the rectangular piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty darn awesome - the inspiration, the design process, and the quilt top. It's so nice when it all comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's pretty awesome! How great to be inspired and then to ACTUALLY MAKE IT!! I'm totally impressed!

    ReplyDelete